Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Why I Want To Eat At Friday's

I am a kampong boy. Born and bred. Having lived a sheltered and overprotected life for more than 18 years, I was looking forward to studying in the city.

It was quite a culture shock for me coming to the big city. So different from my small town roots. But I learned to adapt.

Back then, I was studying in Shah Alam and a bunch of us would always go to Subang via KTM to hang out. My then best friend would always take me to new restaurants to get me all acquainted and caught up with western ‘culture’.

On my birthday, she took me, and another girlfriend, to TGI Fridays in Subang Parade. I was such a deer in the headlights, did not know what to order. She started me slow by ordering the pasta. I completely fell in love with the food.

After that, I would make sure I go to Fridays at least one a month. Even when I went to study in America, I’d get my best friend to go to Fridays.

Incidentally, a lot of things are associated with Friday. Friday the 13th. Good Friday. Black Friday. Freaky Friday. His Girl Friday.

I would always come to the office on Friday and say “Thank God it’s Friday!” (as opposed to coming bright and surly on a Monday and saying “Oh God it’s Monday!”). Friday is my favorite weekday because Friday signals the end of the work week. It’s the day just before the weekend starts. The day you work less hours. The day you get to come to the office in casual jeans and T-shirt.

You know what? Great food can now be associated with the name Friday as well. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment